Tuesday, May 6, 2008

SGA Elections

Student Government Elections are kinda a big deal... As they should be. Who we choose to represent us as a whole can have good or bad consequences. If we choose someone who has no idea what they are doing or someone who wont listen to our concerns and what we want cannot be a good thing. Campaigning actually kinda blew me away. Some people go to extremes to get there name out there. Chalking the sidewalks is insane and somewhat distracting. I know I would always walk down the sidewalk and try to read everything that was under my feet... luckily I never ran into anyone or anything. There are so many things that the SGA has to offer in student involvement and can be used as a great platform for students of all grades. Being involved in the SGA can not only open doors for things on and off campus. Those who choose to run for most any elected position have a lot of students supporting them and helping in anyway they can to get their choice elected into office. Those sidewalks can't chalk themselves! The promotion that I saw for almost every candidate was in great numbers. Not only for the chalking but there were also a lot of people passing out stickers and fliers. People wrote on the names of their candidates on their cars and joined groups on facebook and did almost anything they could to show their support. The biggest ad I saw was a car driving around with a huge ad in the bed of their truck that supported Kendra Key. That was big commitment to me right there. The debates were probably the most deciding factor for me though. They really showed what each candidate stood for, what they each wanted to do with their position, and it really showed peoples personalities. No offense to him and to be honest I really don't remember his name, but at the debates, the other guy running for president really proved to me that he was not fit out for the position. Anyone who says that just anyone can be SGA president is not someone that I would want as my SGAs president. I know a lot of people who would not be cut out for that position and it would bring our campus down as a whole. To me, for a president, it needs to be someone who knows how to reach their goals and has the means to do so. Not just anybody can do that. Needless to say, SGA elections cause a great commotion within the student body and as a freshman they have really shown me how important it is to elect someone who you think has the ability to work within the University and city of Tuscaloosa community.

No comments: