Monday, April 21, 2008

troubles at the health center

First off as I'm sure everyone feels, being sick sucks. Its totally different being sick at college and being sick at home. Don't lie.. you all know you love having mommy around to make you feel better. Dealing with the student health center when you are sick, I imagine, is a really bad experience. I usually just end up going home if I don't feel good or what not... I will not go to the health center. But I did try to go when I had a rash and that failed miserably. I called ahead and asked if I could make an appointment and was denied. The receptionist just told me to come in and I'll be seen. That was a bad idea. I walked in the door and was amazed at how many sick people were actually there. I know, duh, its a doctors office but I still did not think there would be that many people there. Everyone around me was coughing and looking absolutely miserable. When i found out that it would be a 2 hour wait, I left. I was just really mad that they wouldn't let me get an appointment. I didn't understand why. I would think that the health center would try their best to not have so many patients so why would they not let someone who is not sick get an appointment. It also just really sucks for the people who really are sick and have to wait for hours in a lobby to be seen and have the possibility of getting medicine to feel better. But the other time I went to the health center it was so much better. I had cut my finger when my fishbowl broke in my hand and I called to make sure they would see me ASAP cause you know I was bleeding pretty badly but had wrapped my finger. They told me that they would and when I got there I walked into the back right after I signed in. I was impressed with the quickness for that situation, and yeah I was bleeding and what not but I still don't understand why I could be seen so quickly then and not even make an appointment before. In the end I just realized if I'm ever sick enough to need a doctor, I'm calling mommy to come get me.

4 comments:

Evan said...

Well that sucks.
After Spring Break I got the flu and had to go to the SHC to get some meds. They saw me in about 30 minutes or so but there was no one else there. Not too bad!

Nick said...

I refuse to go to the health center after 2 bad experiences. I always feel like I'm going to get more sick after being around all of those people.

Emi's Blog said...

The health center really is pathetic. They told one of my friends she had one thing and gave her medecine. When she did not get any better after a few days, she went to a doctor's office and told her the health center was wrong-she had something totally different. The university really needs to improve it.

~*Hello Kitty*~ said...

Well, I have heard some bad stories about the Student Health Center, but when I went I didn't have that much trouble! I went in and got out in about 45 minutes, which is not bad considering other circumstances.