Thursday, April 10, 2008

English Adventures!!

Last semester I found out about the Natural History Museum and decided to go in with two of my friends. It amazed me then and amazed me when I went in a second time the things that Alabama has! Seeing a bear in your face when you walk in the front door is something very different! My favorite thing about the museum was the big turtle shell they have, and if i wasn't so bad at keeping up with blogs I probably could tell you exactly what it is... But anyways... The weirdest thing I saw in the museum was the meteor that hit that person! That is really one of the most unlikely things that could happen to someone. I was just really surprised at the artifacts they actually have here on campus.
I really liked the C.S.I. stuff they had shown upstairs too. One of my favorite shows is C.S.I. and even though thats not really how it works all the time and its everything is just made to look cool, but its fun to see some of the actual things that they do. My chemistry teacher used to be a forensic scientist and always tells us stories about the interesting cases hes worked on that are kind of tied to chemistry. Although I am going off on a tangent, everyone I talk to about my chemistry teacher I say the same thing... Im going to know how to make a meth lab by the end of the year. Clearly hes not going to tell us how to make a meth lab or encouraging it because he tells us all the bad things that happen like people blowing up, but a lot of the things we talk about somehow link to a chemical reaction or a metal or something that you need or happens when you make meth. I just think its really funny but he means well!!
BUT! Upstairs with the C.S.I. exhibit there was a shrunken head which actually creep me out... I knew that they were real heads but I never really knew how they did it, and again since I waited to do my blogs I forgot exactly how they did it but just remember that I really don't want it done to me.
The last thing that I think about when I think about the museum is the time line thats in front. I'm not positive that its part of the museum but I would assume that it has something to do with the museum. Its a time line of earth from beginning to end. It goes through millions of years and really gives you perspective of where humans lie in the order of things and how little we have actually been a part of the environment. As corny as that sounds its just weird to think about how short of a time we've been around. I got a kick out of really looking around the museum and knowing what was in it.

1 comment:

Sarah's EN103 Blog said...

I feel like I know everything about the museum,but I have never noticed the time line before. Interesting. My dad has been making me go in there before every Bama football game as long as I can remember. He's a HUGE history buff, in case you didn't know! haha